Cultural Commissioning Programme
Working with the arts and cultural sector, commissioners and policy makers to strengthen commissioning of arts and culture, and deliver better outcomes for people and communities.
From July 2016 to December 2017, the Cultural Commissioning Programme will work with policy makers and stakeholders to embed support for cultural commissioning. We will also support existing models of practice on the ground to strengthen them and help secure recognition of opportunities that replicating these models can offer.
- Follow us on Twitter
- See our Pinterest board
The Art of Commissioning, 2016
This documents learning from our two commissioning partner pilots, Kent County Council and Gloucestershire Clinical Commissioning Group, on using arts and cultural organisations to deliver outcomes for health, wellbeing and communities. It makes recommendations for improving commissioning and procurement processes to enable better engagement by the arts and cultural sector, and includes case studies and resources.
This research report provides an overview of challenges and opportunities in relation to strengthening the use of arts and cultural organisations to deliver public service outcomes.
This considers in-depth information from a sample of cultural organisations, commissioners, policy makers and influencers involved with Phase 1 of the Programme.
Articles and blog posts
- Cultural Commissioning Programme: Sharing the learning
- Models of practice in arts and commissioning
- Effective outcomes for people and communities
- Developing a narrative for people, communities and place
- How arts and culture can work with public services
- Creative approaches to delivering the Care Act
- Prescribing the arts for better health
- Advice from commissioners and influencers
- Adding years to life - and life to years: commissioning arts activities to help maintain older people's quality of life and independence
- Opportunities if wellbeing evidence is used more to inform policy-making
- How art programmes can treat long term conditions
- Engaging with public sector commissioning
Resources and case studies
Visit our resources on cultural commissioning for helping arts and cultural organisations, and public services commissioners to work together. These resources include case studies, sources of evidence of impact, toolkits and policy drivers.
Phase 2 of the Cultural Commissioning Programme (July 2016–Dec 2017) is delivered by NCVO, and builds on Phase 1 (July 2013–June 2016) which was delivered by NCVO in partnership with NEF and NPC. It is funded by Arts Council England.