General Election 2024

Read our analysis of the general election result and what it means for charities. Learn more

Closing down: What to do if you have waste

This page is free to all

When closing, you’ll be responsible for the disposal of any assets you don’t transfer.

As a non-household setting, you may have specific responsibilities for the disposal of waste. These include the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Regulations and the waste duty of care code of practice.

You may need to complete a waste transfer note for each load of waste that leaves your premises. This could include used electrical and electronic equipment that’s unsuitable for reuse which you intend to remove. There are also extra responsibilities if you’re dealing with hazardous waste.

You should seek advice from your local authority or the Environment Agency about the disposal of your waste.

You should be especially cautious of disposing any identifiable or reusable items. For example empty letterheads or branded uniforms. These could be used by criminals to help them commit fraud or impersonate your organisation. Always dispose of these items so they are put beyond use.

Last reviewed: 07 July 2023

Help us improve this content

This page was last reviewed for accuracy on 07 July 2023

Back to top

Sign up for emails

Get regular updates on NCVO's help, support and services