General Election 2024

Read our analysis of the general election result and what it means for charities. Learn more

Closing down: What to do if you’re registered with a regulator or statutory register

This page is free to all

The Charity Commission

Registered charities must inform the Charity Commission that they’re closing so they can be removed from the Register of Charities. How and when you notify the Charity Commission will depend on your turnover and legal structure.

It may be appropriate for you to report a serious incident to the Charity Commission as soon as possible. For example, if the organisation is facing insolvency or a significant loss of income. It’s the responsibility of the charity’s trustees to decide whether an incident is significant and should be reported.

The Charity Commission has useful examples of serious incidents you need to report (PDF, 381KB).

Companies House

If your organisation is set up as a company you’ll need to inform Companies House of your closure.

You must make sure your charity is removed from the Companies House register before it can be removed from the register of charities.

Read their guidance on closing a limited company.

The Fundraising Regulator

If your charity is registered with the Fundraising Regulator, you’ll need to email and ask to be removed from their register.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

You may need to contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and let them know you’re planning to close and that you have ceased trading, especially if you employ staff.

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)

Every organisation which processes personal information needs to pay a data protection fee to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) unless they’re exempt.

You’ll need to contact the ICO and explain you want to deregister. You’ll also need to explain who will now be responsible for the personal information held by your organisation. For example, it may be transferred to another organisation.

Other regulators

If you’re a registered charity elsewhere in the UK, you may need to inform the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) or the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland.

If you deliver any regulated services you’ll likely need to inform specific sector regulators. For example, if you deliver health and social care or offer money and debt advice.

Last reviewed: 07 July 2023

Help us improve this content

This page was last reviewed for accuracy on 07 July 2023

Back to top

Sign up for emails

Get regular updates on NCVO's help, support and services