Influencing the House of Lords
With no government majority in the House of Lords, campaigners are increasingly seeing it as the best place to make change happen, but increased tension between the government and House of Lords means that charities need to understand how they can use the Lords to effect change while not alienating the government. This course aims to help charities focus on how best to work with peers, and ensure that Lords victories lead to changes in policy.
|Date:||23 June 2017|
|Location||NCVO Conference Suite, London N1|
Many charities can benefit from working with the House of Lords, raising the profile of their causes and campaigns, and achieving real change.
The course will explain:
- how to work effectively with peers
- how the current political landscape has increased the importance of the House of Lords
- how current debates around the powers of the House of Lords will impact campaigns.
By the end of the day you will have:
- understood the main procedures of the House of Lords
- discussed how to influence bills as they progress through the House of Lords
- received tips on how to build effective relationships with peers
- understood the implications of the current political situation on the way you work with the Lords.
NCVO Conference Suite, Kings Cross, London, N1 9RL. Find us.
Who should attend?
Those in the voluntary sector looking to work with the House of Lords. You may be new to the topic, looking to develop your knowledge, or simply require a refresher on how the House of Lords works and how best to influence peers.
Who runs it?
Chris Walker is senior external relations officer at NCVO. He worked in parliament in a number of roles for six years, and has an in-depth knowledge of how to use different parliamentary processes to influence Westminster. Before joining NCVO, he worked in public affairs and policy roles for the Federation of Small Businesses, working on a number of major policy wins. See Chris’ NCVO blogs .
Our pricing structure is based on your organisation’s gross annual income. We also offer a 30% discount for NCVO members.
Not quite what you are looking for?
We offer a renowned seven-day course: Certificate in Campaigning .
Or a range of one-day courses on topics such as:
- Digital skills for campaigners
- Developing a winning campaign strategy and plan
- Influencing parliament
Would you like to run this training for your organisation?
We offer bespoke and in-house training on a range of topics, including governance and leadership, sustainable funding and strategy development. For more information please complete our online contact form.