Supporting good governance: Effective board servicing and governance administration
This course is designed for those who support the governance function of their organisation. The content includes: the context of the sector, supporting trustees to meet their duties, the role of the board secretary, improving structures, processes and meetings as well as supporting board reviews and performance.
|Date||8 May 2017|
|Time||09.30 - 16.30|
|Location||NCVO Conference Suite, London, N1|
By the end of the day you will have:
- understood the role, responsibilities and liabilities of trustees
- understood the principles of good governance and how systems, processes and administration can support their development
- defined and explored the role of secretary
- identified the components of effective recruitment, induction and ongoing board support
- considered how to produce and develop the building blocks of effective governance including: agendas, reporting and minute taking, a cycle of business, a scheme of delegates authority, a register of interests
- explored the benefits and approaches to board review
- discussed how you will implement changes for your organisation.
NCVO Conference Suite, Society Building, 8 All Saints Street, London, N1 9RL. Where are we?
Who should attend?
Those that support the trustee board in any capacity including board administrators, executive assistants, board secretaries, non-chartered company secretaries.
"Lots of valuable information." Said Foundation
"Confirmed some best practice and received a number of ideas for implementation or discussion." Solent Mind
"Well delivered, content excellent and topical to what I need."
Who runs it?
Dan Francis is NCVO’s governance consultant. His focus is on governance reviews, board performance and trustee training. Dan has experience of interim senior management assignments in the voluntary sector, and has served as trustee for small and medium-sized community and education charities.
He joined NCVO from the National Union of Students (NUS) where, as a long standing consultant, he supported the organisational development of local students’ unions as charities.
Our pricing structure is based on your organisation’s gross annual income. We also offer a 30% discount for NCVO members.
Can't make this date?
The next course will be on 14 July.
Not quite what you are looking for?
- If you are a new trustee, or you would like a refresher in your overall roles and responsibilities, then look at our Charity Trustees: Induction and refresher course instead.
- If you need help with the finances, our one day course on Understanding the numbers may be of interest.
- If you want something more practical that aims to help delegates work together on real life scenarios that actual boards are facing, then our course The High Performance Board may be for you.
Would you like to run this training for your organisation?
We offer bespoke and in-house training on a range of topics, including governance and leadership, sustainable funding and strategy development. For more information please complete our online contact form.