We are committed to supporting, enabling and celebrating volunteering in all its diversity. We have support and resources for all aspects of volunteering.
Volunteering is someone spending time, unpaid, doing something that aims to benefit the environment or someone who they're not closely related to. Volunteering must be a choice freely made by each individual.
For volunteering to be effective, it needs to be supported. Volunteer Centres are our local delivery partners, providing assistance to individual volunteers and volunteer involving organisations.
Volunteers' Week is an annual event, coordinated by NCVO, which takes place on 1-7 June, recognising and celebrating the contribution made by volunteers nationwide.
Volunteer Centres are our local delivery partners, providing assistance to individual volunteers and volunteer involving organisations.
- Volunteer Centre Quality Accreditation (VCQA)
NCVO offers a range of resources on volunteering, including:
'How to' guides
National Volunteering Forum
Our National Volunteering Forum brings together volunteer-involving organisations and volunteer infrastructure bodies from around England to discuss issues of shared concern, feed into NCVO’s policy positions and to network. We run three events every year, including at least one outside of London.
Previous forums have discussed a variety of topics:
- Demonstrating the impact of volunteering, May 2016
- Employer supported volunteering, November 2015
- The post-2015 general election landscape, July 2015
- Role of volunteering in public services, March 2015
Benchmark the quality of your volunteer management and involvement
Strengthen your organisation, provide a better service for your users and increase funding.
- NCVO UK Civil Society Almanac - statistics on volunteering
- The Institute of Volunteering Research evidence bank
- Volunteering case studies (NCVO Knowhow Nonprofit)
- IiVE is the UK award recognising commitment to best practice in employer supported volunteering
- Step on Board trains and helps your senior employees and emerging leaders to take up positions on the boards of charities and other organisations, while benefiting both your organisation and community
- National week of celebration to thank the UK’s volunteers
- Organisations across the country are holding events to thank volunteers for their dedication and contribution. Volunteers’ Week is an annual celebration of the millions of volunteers who give up their ...
- Big charities continue to grow as smaller charities struggle
- Young people’s volunteering levels show sharp increase The income of Britain’s biggest charities grew in 2013/14, while that of smaller and medium-sized charities’ decreased in real terms, new analysis ...