Charities to have stronger voice in Europe
- Wednesday, 30 January 2013 12:35
- Published: Wednesday, 30 January 2013 12:35
An NCVO joint project will become a stronger voice for charities in Europe following successful funding bids, it was announced today.
The European Network for National Associations (ENNA) represents European non-profit umbrella bodies, championing the voluntary sector to European decision-makers.
Established in 2009 by NCVO in partnership with its counterparts across Europe, ENNA brings together over 20 national umbrella organisations from across Europe (1).
The network has been awarded over £100,000 from the European Union and the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation (2). The funding will allow ENNA to become an independent organisation with a permanent representative in Brussels.
The funding includes a specific grant to enable ENNA to develop advice for organisations in the Balkan region.
ENNA will also offer to ‘match-make’ similar charities in different countries who have an interest in sharing expertise. This will give NCVO member organisations the opportunity to share knowledge learn from local experience from across Europe.
Oliver Henman, Head of European and International at NCVO, said:
"I’m delighted that ENNA has been recognised as an effective advocate for charities in Europe. I’m glad we have been able to work closely with partners across Europe to set up this network, including particularly strong partnerships in Germany, Slovenia and Poland. In these tough times it’s more important than ever that we work together across borders to find collective solutions.
"NCVO has a distinguished history of incubating organisations which go on to have a substantial impact in their fields, including Citizens Advice, Age Concern, and Bond, the membership body for international development organisations. I hope that ENNA will similarly now go from strength to strength."
NCVO champions and strengthens the voluntary sector, with over 10,000 members, from the largest charities to the smallest community organisations.
List of ENNA members:
- Albania: IDM
- Belgium: de Verenigde Verenigingen
- Cyprus: Pan Cyprian Volunteerism Coordinative Council
- Czech Republic: AVPO
- Estonia: Network of Estonian NGOs
- Germany: Bundesnetzwerk Burgerschaftliches Engagement
- Hungary: NIOK
- Ireland: The Wheel
- Lithuania: NGO Information and Support Centre
- Malta: National Federation of NGOs of Malta
- Norway: Frivillighetnorge
- Poland: OFOP
- Portugal: Entrajuda
- Romania: Civil Society Development Foundation
- Slovenia: CNVOS
- Spain: Plataforma de ONGs de Accion Social
- Turkey: TUSEV
- UK: NCVO, SCVO, WCVA, NICVA
- €100,000 from Europe for Citizens Programme
- USD 40,000 from The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
- €25,000 from the European Pre-Accession Assistance for the Balkans