Putting personalisation into practice: bespoke training
The provision of adult social care in England is undergoing huge change. The Personalisation agenda is creating user commissioners and strengthening markets of user-led and community-based support; while the pressure to curb spending is being addressed in Local Authority cuts, and through the national commission conducted by Andrew Dilnot.
'Putting Personalisation into Practice' is a joint initiative between Community Catalysts (CC) - who've been at the vanguard of Personalisation as a key research and practice partner of the Department of Health - and NCVO, to offer expert training in personalisation in this context to voluntary and community sector infrastructure, frontline and commissioners.
What's on this page
Few organisations can rival Community Catalysts for experience in delivering and developing personalised providers and markets. No other organisation has NCVO's breadth of support resources and policy understanding of the voluntary sector.
Our training is intended to up-skill voluntary sector infrastructure, frontline providers and commissioners to develop personalised services and markets. We bring case studies, process guidelines and frameworks for market development - as well as in-depth policy understanding from organisations involved closely with the Department of Health and delivering extensive consultancy to local authorities.
From our end it's Fiona Sheil in the Public Services team. Prior to working at NCVO, Fiona worked at the Lambeth CVS (LVAC), where she represented the sector on the borough's Personalisation Board, as well as establishing and running a VCS 'Shadow' Personalisation Board. Fiona worked extensively with commissioners on the development of a CIL, support brokerage, and an overarching commissioning framework for personalisation of adult services. Fiona now leads NCVO's work on Personalisation.
Angela Catley began her career as a nurse for people with a learning disability, moving on to manage nursing, residential and day services and supported living projects. She moved into a staff training and development role, working for two national organisations over a period of six years. Angela has managed a large Shared Lives service in the north of England and headed up project development for NAAPS, the umbrella organisation representing micro social care enterprise in the UK. During her time at NAAPS Angela was responsible for a number of major projects, the learning from which has contributed to the transformation of adult social care in the UK. Her work has resulted in a number of important publications including the Homeshare Practice Guide and the Practical Guide for local authorities interested in stimulating and supporting local micro enterprise. Angela has recently published an addendum to the Practical Guide which brings together learning from her work developing a Quality Mark for micro providers.
We offer different training depending on whether you're a voluntary sector infrastructure organisation, frontline provider, or public sector commissioner.
Training of different lengths is available: from conference workshops, to half day and full day sessions - or a full series of days supporting your organisation through the period of transformation.
We'll provide relevant resources during and after the training - and make sure we answer all the questions you have.
We can support you to:
- Understand and address the challenges you face in relation to personalisation, including business challenges, and changes to frontline provision;
- Understand the opportunities for your organisation, partners and users;
- Access appropriate tools and knowledge to respond to the changes in service design, delivery and funding;
- Learn from best-practice case studies in service delivery, organisational change, market development and commissioning;
- Learn from innovative personalisation approaches in local communities;
- Gain expert specialist knowledge through unique Masterclass courses (eg on marketing; pricing).
Infrastructure organisations: what you get out of it
With you, we'll create a training package to help your staff and/or those organisations you support to:
- understand the policy and economic context, and how the market will work.
- understand how to map and provide the right skills and services for your members.
- understand and map potential income generating models.
- how to engage, support and influence commissioners and policy makers.
- case studies of service design and user involvement.
- access the best example of infrastructure transformation, research and services to support the Personalisation agenda.
- Masterclass topics on specialist issues (such as brokerage models; pricing; or trading services) to enable your staff to provide advice and support in these areas.
Voluntary and Community Sector frontline providers: what you can get out of it
We can work with you to address your organisations specific needs around personalisation through:
- providing direct support and bespoke consultancy on the specific issues pertinent to your organisation.
- developing a bespoke action plan for your organisation outlining next steps and opportunities to explore.
- training around specific topics and skills such as marketing, pricing and user-centred planning.
Public Sector Commissioners: what you can get out of it
Working to understand the current structure of your adult social care market - and the future aspirations Personalisation must deliver, we can provide:
- best practice case studies on market analysis, market intervention, and market development tools
- policy understanding of market quality standards and user involvement
- case study practical detail on developing user-led and brokerage services
- understanding of the challenges and opportunities of Personalisation on voluntary sector frontline service design and back office services
We don't book individual places onto training courses - we sell the whole package for you to host and to manage and distribute the delegate places as you wish. This can be if you're an infrastructure body, frontline organisation, or commissioner.
Prices vary, depending on just how 'bespoke' the training is - and therefore the time it takes for us to prepare everything to high enough standards.
Both organisations are experienced professional trainers with lots of contacts and resources at our disposal - so please ask a lot from us, and I'm sure we can deliver!